Dashing through the snow, ho, ho, ho, and mistletoe! Welcome to another beautiful Fun Friday in Alaska, courtesy of Alaska Center for Pediatrics, caring for kiddos since 1982. This weekend is FULL, folks. So full, in fact, I’m not even sure Santa could keep up, much less a coffee-deprived mother from Anchorage who is still in her jammies this morning. But, giddyup, Rudolph and friends, here we go:
1. Travelgram Show podcast: Missed the show this week? No worries; listen in as James Pepper Henry and Julie Decker from the Anchorage Museum give us a spectacular hour of information and events at this 180,000 square-foot facility (yes, way). Catch Wells Fargo Family Free Day on Sunday, and listen to a plethora of musical guests in the Museum Atrium from noon-5 p.m. FREE.
2. Travelgram Show BIG NEWS: Be sure you are listening to the Travelgram Show Tuesday, December 20, from 2-3 p.m. AST on KOAN 95.5 FM, or streamed live at 1020KOAN.com, for our Annual Travelgram Holiday Show. Prizes? Oh, we have prizes; 2 tickets on JetBlue, 2 tickets on EraAlaska, 2 McKinley Explorer flightsee tickets from K2 Aviation, a night at Copper Whale Inn, a Great Alaska TourSaver book, and, our holiday cohost Marian Call will be giving away a copy of her new CD, “Something Fierce.“ Tune in. Be There. WIN!
3. The Alaska Railroad Holiday Train still has room on Saturday’s 2 p.m. train, taking holiday revelers to Indian and back. Christmas treats, elves, music, and perhaps, just perhaps, Santa will stop his Christmas preparations and catch the train, too. Find all the info at the Alaska Railroad website.
4. Williams’ Reindeer Farm in Palmer is hosting Santa’s Elves at their family-friendly property off Old Glenn Highway. The Williams family does such a nice job with old-fashioned, kid-pleasing activities, and this is the beginning of an entire month of holiday cheer. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday. Admission $10/family. Discounts apply, check on the website.
5. Christmas In Ice: HO HO HO, get on out to North Pole and Santa Claus House’s parking lot for Christmas in Ice, a frosty annual event that gets the whole family ready for the Big Night. Ice slides, a kids’ park, hot cocoa, music, and a ton of fun are waiting for you! Visit the organization’s website for all the icy details.
6. Creamer’s Field in Fairbanks is hosting an Ornament Party on Saturday from 12-4 p.m. at their Farmhouse Visitor Center. Stop in, make an ornament to take home, and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. Cozy and comforting, that’s Creamer’s Field at Christmastime. $3 donation.
7. Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitor Center (Fairbanks) welcomes everyone to their Holiday Open House, beginning at noon. This is the perfect opportunity to wander the lovely displays, read the informative books and manuscripts about Interior Alaska, and experience life during a slower time. We love this place! FREE.
There remains a sleigh-full of family fun to be had, so hit the ‘Calendar of Events’ tab at the top of this page! You can always find something for everyone, there!
Here’s to a family-fun weekend in Alaska!