It’s hard to believe the decade is nearly behind us and a new chapter is about to be opened. For AKontheGO, 2020 looks to be an exciting adventure, from two family departures with UnCruise sailing around Southeast to Family Gold Rush Camp in Nome.
There’s plenty of Alaska family travel opportunities happening between now and then, too. In Alaska the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day? Try these fun destinations:
- Alyeska Resort: A great overnight getaway, snow or no snow. Hint: Check out the pool and spa.
- Alaska Zoo: ZooLights is going strong throughout the holiday week, and it’s a great way to introduce visiting friends and family to the animals of the circumpolar north while enjoying the beautiful displays of lights.
- Alaska Botanical Garden: Speaking of lights….the garden’s Holiday Lights showcase is in its second year, and wow, what a lovely way to spend a winter evening. Show up between 5-8 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday now through January 11 and prepared to feel all warm and fuzzy, even if it’s cold outside!
- Talkeetna: This wee village 2.5 hours north of Anchorage is a delightful place to spend a holiday night. There’s always something going on for kids; the gingerbread house display at Talkeetna Roadhouse, New Year’s Eve frolicking, and lots of outdoor gear for rent at AKontheGO favorite place, North Shore Cyclery (psst: they have skis, snowshoes, and fat bikes for wintertime fun). Take the Alaska Railroad Aurora Winter Train up, spend the night, then return to Anchorage the next day. What’s not to like about that Winter Break getaway?
- Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center: Of course you can visit this expansive facility in Portage all year long! Be aware of shorter hours though, due to our seasonal darkness (10 a.m.-4 p.m.; last entry at 3 p.m.). Stop by, take a walk around the property, and say hi to Twix the three-legged porcupine for me. Make plans to visit on Saturday, January 5 and see their first animal-enrichment program of the year, a fun event for all ages.
And, finally, with GREAT FANFARE — I am proud to announce the return of AKontheGO to live radio in 2020! Yes, the Alaska On the Go Show will premiere Wednesday, January 8 at 3 p.m. on Out North Radio KONR-LP 106.1 FM. It’s local, it’s live, and it’s right during afternoon school pick up drive time (now you have something to do while sitting in the pickup line, yes?).
It’s going to be great fun; simple stuff you’ll want to know about traveling the 49th state with your children. In fact, my guests and I will be following the order (mostly) of my first book, Alaska On the Go: Exploring the 49th state with children. Our first theme? Getting there and getting around.
January 8: Alaska Railroad
January 15: Anchorage (from Eklutna to Girdwood)
January 22: Great Alaskan Holidays
It’ll be 30 minutes of fast and furious fun, so you’ll want to tune in. I promise. Oh, one thing: Out North is a completely community-supported station, with an all-volunteer team keeping things together. Supporting the Alaska On the Go Show means supporting the efforts of regular people doing extraordinary things, and I appreciate it.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a blessed winter solstice, one and all!